- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 4 pork loin steaks or boneless pork chops, about 150 g each, trimmed of fat
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large orange sweet potato, about 400 g, cut into sticks
- 150 ml sweetened cranberry juice
- 150 ml chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 piece preserved ginger, drained and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon good–quality orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five–spice
- 2 star anise
- 4 roma tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 3 spring onions, shredded, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or deep sauté pan.
- Add the pork steaks and brown them for 3–4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the pork to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the oil remaining in the casserole dish and cook, stirring, over a moderate heat for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, cover the dish and sweat the vegetables for 3–4 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the cranberry juice, stock, ginger, marmalade, sherry, five–spice, star anise and a little salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and return the pork to the casserole.
- Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the casserole, cover and cook gently for a further 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly cooked, but still hold their shape.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary, and serve, garnished with spring onions.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: about 35 minutes