- 300 ml full–cream milk
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup (55 g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 g) Greek–style yogurt
- 125 g blackberries to decorate
- 125 g blackberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Warm the milk in a heavy–based saucepan with the orange zest until scalding hot.
- Meanwhile, put the whole egg, egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl, and whisk together until pale and creamy.
- Stir the milk into the egg mixture, then return to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Do not allow the custard to boil.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- When the custard is cold, beat in the yogurt.
- Pour the mixture into an ice–cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the mixture is thick and slushy.
- Alternatively, pour the mixture into a freezerproof container and freeze for 2 hours, or until beginning to set around the edges.
- Tip out into a bowl and whisk well with a balloon whisk or electric mixer to break down the ice crystals, then return to the container.
- Freeze for a further 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, make the purée.
- Put the blackberries in a saucepan with the sugar and 1 tablespoon water.
- Heat until the berries are soft and juicy, then bring to the boil and boil for 1–2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Press the blackberries through a nylon sieve to make a smooth purée.
- If using an ice–cream machine, transfer the ice cream to a rigid plastic container, then lightly stir in the blackberry purée to make a ripple effect.
- If frozen in a container, tip out into a bowl and whisk well until softened, then swirl in the blackberry purée and return to the container.
- Freeze for a further 3 hours, or overnight, until firm.
- About 45 minutes before serving, remove the ice cream from the freezer.
- Scoop into glasses and decorate with berries.
Preparation: about 30 minutes, plus cooling and freezing
Cooking: about 5 minutes