- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 red or green capsicums, seeded and finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500 g chicken mince
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, about 400 g each
- 1 can red kidney beans, about 400 g, drained and rinsed
- 400 g spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup (160 g) low–fat natural yogurt
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (20 g) finely chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, coriander and chives
- First make the topping.
- Mix the yogurt with the spring onion and herbs.
- Cover and chill until required.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or a saucepan.
- Add the garlic and fry, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and capsicums, and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper, ground cumin and oregano, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and crumbly.
- Stir in the tomatoes and kidney beans, and add seasoning to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Drain well.
- Divide the spaghetti among 4 plates and spoon an equal amount of chicken chilli over each serving.
- Top with the herb–flavoured yogurt and serve at once.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 25 minutes