- 300 g smoked haddock fillet or other smoked fish
- 300 ml low–fat milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fine dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (30 g) cornflour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250 g tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- 1 eggwhite
- Put the fish and milk in a saucepan and heat until simmering.
- Simmer gently for about 8 minutes, or until the fish will just flake when tested with a fork.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the fish to cool in the milk.
- When the fish is cool enough to handle, remove it and flake the flesh, discarding the skin and any bones.
- Set the poaching milk aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven, with a metal baking tray inside, to 190°C.
- Lightly grease a 1.7 litre soufflé dish with the butter.
- Mix together the parmesan and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the bottom and side of the dish, turning the dish to coat evenly.
- Shake out any excess crumb mixture and reserve.
- Mix the cornflour with a little of the reserved, cold poaching milk to make a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling, then pour into the cornflour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring to make a thick sauce.
- Pour the sauce into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, one by one, beating them thoroughly into the sauce.
- Stir in the flaked haddock, tomatoes, mustard, parsley, chives, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk the 4 eggwhites until stiff enough to hold soft peaks.
- Fold one–quarter of the whites into the sauce mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared soufflé dish and sprinkle the top with the reserved parmesan and breadcrumb mixture.
- Set the dish on the hot baking tray and bake for about 35 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.
- Serve at once.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: about 45 minutes