- 1 carrot, about 125 g, grated
- 1 cup (30 g) watercress, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ⅔ cup (160 g) reduced–fat cream cheese
- 8 thick slices rye bread
- 2 cans sardines in olive oil, about 120 g each, drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- a few long fresh chives to garnish
- Mix the grated carrot, watercress and chives into the cream cheese.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over one side of each slice of rye bread.
- Halve the sardines lengthwise, then arrange them, skin side up, on top of the cheese.
- Arrange the red onion slices over the sardines and top with a few long pieces of chive to garnish.
- Sprinkle with pepper and serve.