- 4 large or 8 small flour tortillas, about 160 g in total
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 85 g edam, coarsely grated
- ⅓ cup (90 g) sour cream
- 4 spring onions, choppedchopped fresh coriander leaves to servelime wedges to serve
- Tomato and chilli salsa
- 5 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 plump, mild fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 teaspoons lime juice, to tastesalt and pepper
- First make the salsa.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a bowl and stir in the chilli, onion, garlic and coriander.
- Add the oil and lime juice to taste.
- Set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wrap the stacked–up tortillas in foil and put them in the oven to warm for 10 minutes, or according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, half fill a frying pan with water.
- Heat until just starting to simmer, then reduce the heat so the water does not boil.
- Add the vinegar.
- Break the eggs into the water, one at a time, and poach for 3–4 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking, spoon the water over the yolks.
- When cooked, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Place the warmed tortillas on plates (1 large or 2 small ones each).
- Spoon over a little salsa, then put the eggs on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let everyone help themselves to the rest of the salsa, the grated cheese, sour cream and spring onions, plus chopped coriander and lime wedges for squeezing
Preparation: 25 minutes, plus 30 minutes marinating
Cooking: about 10 minutes