Ingredients2 tablespoons honey
½ cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed citrus juice, such as orange and grapefruit
3 star anise
1 white grapefruit
1 pink grapefruit
1 blood orange or another pink grapefruit
2 tablespoons Campari
6–8 fresh dates, pitted and halved
2 sprigs of fresh mint, stalks removed and leaves thinly sliced or chopped
- Combine the honey, citrus juice and star anise in a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil over a moderate heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5–7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, peel the citrus fruits, removing as much white pith as possible.
- Slice the fruits crosswise, removing any pips.
- Arrange the citrus slices in a serving bowl.
- Add the Campari to the syrup and cook for a further 1–2 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the citrus slices.
- Arrange the halved dates over the top, then sprinkle with sliced mint.
- Leave the salad to macerate until ready to eat.
Each serving provides 628 kJ, 150 kcal, 2 g protein, 0 g fat, 32 g carbohydrate (32 g sugars), 3 g fibre