- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 400 g skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large green capsicum, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 can water chestnuts, about 220 g, drained and sliced
- 300 ml chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- grated zest of 2 large lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1¼ cups (155 g) sliced fine green beans
- 2¾ cups (245 g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- Heat the sunflower oil in a flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 1 minute or until the meat is just turning white.
- Add the onion, capsicum, garlic and ginger, and cook over a moderate heat, stirring often, for 5–6 minutes or until the onion is softened but not browned.
- Add the carrots and water chestnuts.
- Pour in the stock and sherry, then heat until simmering, but not boiling rapidly.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the cornflour and sugar to a smooth paste with the soy sauce, sesame oil and lemon zest and juice.
- Stir the cornflour mixture into the casserole and bring to the boil, still stirring.
- Add the green beans, cover the casserole and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the bean sprouts and simmer for a final 2 minutes.
- Serve at once, before the bean sprouts soften.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: about 30 minutes