- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 350 g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 250 g button mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large sprigs of fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large sprigs of fresh tarragon or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon (optional)
- grated zest of 1 small lemon or large lemon
- 150 ml dry sherry
- 300 ml boiling water
- 250 g baby carrots
- 4 cups (240 g) broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ¼ cup (15 g) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan with a lid or fairly deep frying pan.
- Add the chicken and brown the pieces over a high heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to moderate.
- Stir in the onion, mushrooms, bay leaf, thyme, tarragon if using and lemon zest.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to soften.
- Pour in the sherry and water.
- Add the carrots and seasoning to taste, and stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli florets.
- Increase the heat to bring the liquid back to a steady simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the pieces of chicken are tender and the vegetables are just cooked.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf, and the sprigs of thyme and tarragon, if used.
- Blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir the cornflour paste into the casserole and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Check the seasoning, then stir in the parsley and serve.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 20 minutes