- 350 g (12 oz) lean sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 tablespoons bottled teriyaki marinade
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) salt–reduced chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (90 g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 250 g (8 oz) sugar snap peas or snow peas (mangetout), trimmed
- 2 large red capsicums (bell peppers), halved, seeded and sliced
- Put the steak in a bowl with the teriyaki marinade and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 3 hours.
- In a separate bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, cornflour and ⅓ cup (80 ml) of the stock.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil in a wok or large non–stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add the spring onions and stir–fry for 1 minute.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- Add the steak and garlic to the wok and stir–fry for about 2 minutes, or until the steak is cooked to your liking.
- Transfer to the bowl.
- Heat another 1 teaspoon of the oil, then add the mushrooms to the wok and stir–fry for about 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften, then transfer to the bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil, add the sugar snap peas and capsicum and stir–fry for 1–2 minutes, or until they soften.
- Return the steak and all of the vegetables to the wok and stir in the remaining stock.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, or until the ingredients are heated through and the vegetables are just tender.
- Whisk the hoisin sauce mixture, add to the wok and continue to stir–fry until the sauce boils, then cook for a further 1 minute.
- Divide among serving bowls and serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes, plus at least 15 minutes marinating
Cooking: 15 minutes