- 4 cups (1 litre) dashi or salt–reduced vegetable stock
- 150 g (5 oz) silken firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (100 g) thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 8 green beans, trimmed, cut into thirds
- ¼ cup (60 g) white miso paste
- 3 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 16 snow pea (mangetout) sprouts, trimmed
- Put the stock in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the tofu, mushrooms and beans and simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Put the miso in a small bowl and gradually pour in 1 cup (250 ml) of the hot stock from the saucepan, stirring until the miso is dissolved.
- Return the miso mixture back to the pan, stirring well to combine.
- Add most of the spring onions, reserving some to use as a garnish.
- Return the stock to a simmer but do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from the heat and divide among serving bowls.
- Garnish with the snow pea sprouts and remaining spring onions and serve immediately.