- large pinch of saffron threads
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 400 g penne or other pasta shapes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb of fennel, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (60 g) pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 170 g soft goat's cheesesprigs of fresh marjoram, to serve
- Mixed leaf salad 1 tablespoon
- sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 170 g mixed salad leaves such as oak leaf, rocket, red coral lettuce and trimmed watercress
- Crumble the saffron threads into a small mixing bowl.
- Heat the wine in a large, non–stick frying pan until steaming hot, then pour it over the saffron.
- Leave to infuse.
- Wipe out the frying pan with paper towel and set it aside.
- For the salad, combine the oil, orange juice and vinegar in a salad bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and whisk to mix.
- Pile the salad leaves on top of the dressing, but do not toss.
- Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in the frying pan over a moderately high heat for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly, until golden.
- Tip the pine nuts into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over a moderate heat and cook the sliced fennel for 5–6 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, stirring well.
- Stir in the olives, capers and chopped marjoram.
- Add the goat’s cheese and the saffron–infused wine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted smoothly into the liquid to make a sauce.
- Drain the pasta in a colander, then tip it into the frying pan.
- Gently toss to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Spoon onto warmed serving plates, sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and garnish with sprigs of fresh marjoram.
- Serve immediately, with the quickly tossed salad.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes