- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets, about 150 g each
- 2 lemon or lime slices
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (sake or mirin) or dry sherry
- 300 g farfalle (pasta bows)
- 150 g carrots, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into matchstick strips
- 2 stalks celery, cut into matchstick strips
- ½ telegraph cucumber, about 200 g, halved, seeded and cut into matchstick strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 small fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Place the chicken breasts in a large shallow pan and pour in enough water to cover them.
- Add the lemon or lime slices and the rice wine or sherry, and heat until just simmering.
- Reduce the heat and poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and cover the pan, then leave the chicken to cool completely in the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again.
- Set the pasta aside until cool.
- Place the carrots, capsicum, celery and cucumber in a large salad bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix together the fish sauce and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then add the vinegar, soy sauce, chilli and garlic.
- Pour the dressing over the raw salad vegetables.
- Drain the cooled chicken and pat dry on paper towel, then cut into bite–sized pieces.
- Stir the chicken and pasta into the dressed vegetables.
- Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Bring the salad to room temperature before serving.
Preparation: 30 minutes, plus cooling, 1 hour marinating and about 30 minutes standing time
Cooking: about 20 minutes