Choose the best quality ingredients possible. Look for natural products without large amounts of – or any – added sugar, salt or unnecessary fats. Use fresh produce when it is in season for optimum nutritional value, and buy low-fat or reduced-fat dairy products whenever possible. Divide the quantities given here evenly between 2 average-sized slices of toast to give 1 serve.
- Spread 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter over toast slices. Mash or slice 1 large, ripe banana and spoon over peanut butter.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste) over toast slices. Top with 1/4 cup (60 g) reduced-fat ricotta, and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons honey.
- Slice 6 strawberries and put in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a very light grinding of freshly ground black pepper. Leave to stand 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pile 1/3 cup (60 g) low-fat cottage cheese on toast, and top with strawberries. For a quick and easy alternative, you could drizzle the strawberries with 2 teaspoons orange juice and 1 teaspoon honey and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mash 1/2 small ripe avocado with 2 teaspoons lemon juice and spread over toast. Slice 1 tomato and lay slices over avocado. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread toast with 1/4 cup (60 g) reduced-fat ricotta and top with 1 tablespoon chopped semi-dried tomatoes (sun-blushed). Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan and cook under grill (broiler) preheated to high 1 minute, until lightly golden. Top with 5 finely shredded fresh basil leaves if in season.
- Combine 1/3 cup (80 g) reduced-fat ricotta with 1 teaspoon honey, 1 good pinch ground cinnamon and 1 good pinch ground nutmeg. Spread on toast and top with 1/3 cup (50 g) fresh or thawed frozen raspberries or blueberries, or a combination of both. Use a fork to crush berries slightly.
- Combine 1/3 cup (80 g) low-fat cottage cheese with the chopped flesh of 1 orange or mandarin (discard skin and seeds) and 1?2 teaspoon poppyseeds. Spread the mixture over toast and drizzle with 1 teaspoon honey.
- Spread toast with 1/4 cup (60 g) reduced-fat ricotta and top with 1–2 sliced fresh figs when in season. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts. Drizzle with honey if desired. You can use dried figs, dried apricots or dates, or a combination, if preferred.
- Chop a hard-boiled egg (hard-cooked) and mix with 1 teaspoon snipped chives. Spread 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese on toast and top with egg mixture. Season with freshly ground black pepper. If you want this to be more substantial, use 2 eggs. You can cook the egg the night before and keep in the refrigerator, if you prefer.
- Warm 220 g (8 oz) can baked beans in a small saucepan. Finely shred 1/2 cup (25 g) baby spinach leaves, add to pan and stir over low heat until spinach wilts. Serve on toast, sprinkled with 2 tablespoons grated low-fat cheddar.
- Arrange 1 sliced tomato over toast and top with 40 g (1 1/2 oz) chopped lean ham. Drain 125 g (4 oz) can corn kernels and sprinkle over. Cover with 2 tablespoons grated low-fat cheddar and cook under grill (broiler) preheated to high 1 minute, until cheese has melted.