Toxic shock syndrome
TSS is a bacterial infection of your bloodstream that spreads toxins to organs, often associated with tampon use. In 2017, TSS from Staphylococcus aureus bacteria was blamed for a 16-year-old Canadian girl’s death. Authorities said she went on an overnight school trip but never woke up in the morning.
This virus, which you can acquire after being exposed to the droppings, urine, or saliva of infected rodents, kills 38 percent of those who fall ill, according to the CDC. The first outbreak occurred in 1973 and involved a man with shortness of breath who was rushed to the hospital and ‘died very rapidly,’ the organisation reports. Unfortunately, presenting with flu-like symptoms, it can be tough to detect. When doctors suspect an infection, they’ll keep the patient under constant treatment and surveillance in the ICU is usually required.