Plants and your pup
Plants are having a real moment right now, and for good reason. They add beauty to your home, help you feel more in tune with nature, and they even boast health benefits. Unfortunately, some of the most popular and best indoor plants are toxic to dogs, who don’t know which ones are safe to munch on or play with and which absolutely aren’t.
With veterinary help, we’re calling out the most common indoor and outdoor poisonous plants for dogs so you can avoid or get rid of them and replace them with some pup-friendly options.
If you suspect that your pup has munched on a poisonous plant for dogs, consult your vet immediately.
Toxic components: saponins, anthraquinones
Because it’s so easy to maintain and boasts medicinal qualities, aloe vera is a common household plant that people keep both indoors and outdoors. Unfortunately, the gooey gel beloved for its soothing benefits also contains two components that make this plant toxic to dogs when consumed. Typically, signs of ingestion include lethargy and upset stomach, including vomiting and diarrhoea. If you bring this plant into your home, we recommend keeping it high up – like on a sink ledge – so it’s inaccessible.
Golden pothos (epipremnum aureum)
Toxic component: insoluble calcium oxalates
The winding, ivy-like golden pothos (“Devil’s Ivy”) is another poisonous plant for dogs that contains insoluble calcium oxalates – glass-like crystals that can cause severe irritation when eaten. One of the key symptoms is oral itching and irritation, which can sometimes lead to intense burning and pain in and around your pet’s mouth. It can also lead to excessive drooling, vomiting, or difficulty swallowing.