No matter what you believe about the afterlife (or lack thereof), there’s no denying that plenty of people have claimed to see visions or have out-of-body experiences after their hearts have stopped. Sceptics might brush those off, but researchers have found that most near-death experiences tend to have common themes: Feelings of leaving or returning to their bodies, a sense of peace, bright lights, and encounters with spirits or people. In fact, medical treatment is good enough now that there’s a difference between clinical death (no breath or pulse, but could still be resuscitated) and biologic death (actually dead). Even cynics might get chills hearing about these otherworldly visions from people who were clinically dead or close to it.
Popular This Week
- 7 tips for arguing with someone who is “always right”
- 12 science trivia questions people always get wrong
- 7 silent signs you might have eye cataracts
- 38 genius habits your 80-year-old brain will thank you for doing today
- 19 of the strangest unsolved mysteries of all time
- How to banish bad smells from your home
- How to Grow Currants
- 13 of the world’s tiniest dog breeds
More in Thought-provoking
Would you like to see your writing published in the magazine? Send it to us! We pay for stories, anecdotes and jokes.
We’re looking for enthusiastic readers who want to get involved in creating the magazine!
Share Your Deepest Wish with us and be published and earn cash!
What’s your best tip for dealing with stress and worry?
Come up with a funny caption for this image for your chance to win $100!