Stir-fried Chicken with Coconut Milk
An aromatic, delicious and quick-to-prepare stir-fry dish.
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup (150 ml) low-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green curry paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets, stalks thinly sliced
- 250 g button mushrooms, halved
- 375 g skinless boneless chicken breast or thigh fillets, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup (7 g) fresh basil, chopped
- Put the lime zest and juice in a bowl with the coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, cornflour and curry paste, if using, and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until the onion softens.
- Add the broccoli florets and stalks, and the mushrooms, and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the coconut milk mixture, return the vegetables to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender.
- Scatter with the basil, toss together briefly, and serve immediately.