Quinoa and Cranberry Porridge
Make this new twist on a traditional porridge to brighten a cold winter morning. Cranberries contain many valuable nutrients but they have a limited season so are usually available in frozen or dried form.
- 1 1/4 cups (80 g) quinoa flakes
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (60 g) frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- Combine the quinoa flakes, milk and 1 cup (250 ml) water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, combine the cranberries, honey and 2 tablespoons water in a blender, and blend until almost smooth. Gently warm in a small saucepan.
- Divide the porridge among four serving bowls. Serve topped with the cranberry mixture, sprinkled with the pecans.